Thursday, May 18, 2017

Book Review: God-Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo

God-Shaped Hole
By Tiffanie DeBartolo
Original Release Date: May 1, 2002
Rerelease Date: May 16, 2017
Source: Publisher
If your intentions are pure
I am seeking a friend
For the end of the world
 


When Beatrice Jordan meets the unpredictable Jacob Grace, the two wild souls become instant allies. Together they discover an escape in each other's creativity and insecurities, while running from secrets they cannot seem to shake - or a fate that could throw them to the ground...

This 15th Anniversary reissue of Tiffanie DeBartolo's classic love story introduces a new audience of dreamers to a quintessentially real and raw vision of spirit, and inspires everyone to live -- and love -- as vividly as possible.


I've got to say, I had never even heard of this book before Sourcebooks approached me about reviewing a copy. With such rave and glowing reviews, I was definitely intrigued and couldn't resist accepting a copy to review! 

From the moment Beatrice Jordan meets Jacob Grace, their lives explode into a passionate, lyrical love story. They go on a whirlwind journey where they discover how to live and love and accept some truths they had been denying their whole lives. 

To say I had high expectations going into this book would be an understatement. I was ready to be blown away. When I actually got to reading the story, it was just…okay. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it or anything, but it felt like an average story to me. Even though it was average, there was something about it that wouldn't let me go and I had to keep reading. Jacob and Beatrice are two characters that are so unique and while they fell in love very quickly, it didn't feel insta-lovey to me. I really liked seeing them grow as characters and how, even though they fully loved each other, their relationship still had its rocky parts. 

While I was reading this book, the story flew by. While it was just an average read throughout the story, that ending was so emotional and definitely bumped this up to a four star read for me. I kind of saw the ending coming, but it was still hard to watch it happen and to see what would happen to our characters. And even though this book was written in 2002, it definitely felt like it was happening today in 2017. I loved that aspect about this book and how raw the characters' emotions were. The relationship depicted in this book is one that will be relevant and relatable for years to come. 

This definitely wasn't the most amazing, life changing book I have ever read, but it still was an emotional book that I couldn't stop reading. While I wasn't amazed by the story, there was just something about it that kept me reading until I finally saw how Beatrice and Jacob would end up.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...