Sunday, May 21, 2017

Book Review: Before I Ever Met You by Karina Halle

Before I Ever Met You
By Karina Halle
Release Date: April 25, 2017
Source: Publisher
I first met William McAlister when I was just a teenager.

He was handsome, had a beautiful wife and was on the verge of success, having just joined my father as his business partner. Mr. McAlister was full of smooth charm, but back then he was barely a blip on my radar. Just a family friend.

Fast forward ten years: I’m 25 years old and a single mom trying to make things right for her seven-year old son. I’ve made some mistakes, grappled with my demons and now I’m back in the city of Vancouver, getting a second chance at a better life.

I’ve started by working for my father’s production company as an executive assistant. My first day on the job and I already know I could have a promising career there.
That is until I see Will McAlister for the first time in a decade.

Now recently divorced and as sophisticated as always, Will has gone from being my father’s friend and business partner to something so much more.

We’re both older, for one thing, and he just oozes this worldly confidence and stark sexuality. Combined with his tall, muscular build and sharp suits, strong jaw and bedroom eyes, Will has turned into one hell of a distraction.

A distraction I’m having a hard time staying away from, considering his office is right across from my desk and I work with him in such close proximity.

But it’s just a harmless crush, right?

It’s just an innocent fantasy of screwing him on his desk, right?

It can’t ever be more because he’s my father’s best friend, business partner, and my boss.

Right?

Wrong.


Karina Halle has been cranking out the books lately and I feel like I have a new one on my kindle every month. I fell in love with this cover as soon as I saw it and I couldn't wait to get into it!

Jackie is a 25-year-old single mom and wants to prove that she can handle herself. She will give anything to give her son a good life, though, which means moving back home and taking a job as an assistant at her father's production company. Jackie first met Will when she was very young, but now that she's a grown woman, she is seeing Will in a whole new light. At 41, Will did not expect to be divorced and living alone with his two rescued dogs. The moment he sees Jackie, who has just been hired as his new assistant, he can't ignore the desire he feels. Will and Jackie know that something between them could never happen, but their attraction builds the more they spend together until it becomes too powerful to ignore. 

While I'm not normally a huge fan of books with a big age difference, I wasn't too bothered by how much older Will was than Jackie in this book. I loved how awkward they both felt about their feelings for each other and that the age difference wasn't ignore. What did bother me, though, was how insta-lovey their relationship felt. They had an immediate attraction to one another, but I felt like that attraction turned into real, serious feelings a little too quickly. 

I did think that Jackie's son was super cute and I loved how well he got along with Will, but I kind of wanted more of him. As much as Jackie talked about loving her son, she left him home a lot with her mom so she could spend more time with Will later on in the book. Ty was involved quite a bit, but I wanted more of her son and a more realistic single mom character. 

Overall, this wasn't a bad read but the relationship did progress a little too quickly. I really actually enjoyed the age difference and how it was addressed instead of just ignored like a lot of other books do. This is definitely a lighter read, but still with some more serious themes, that you will fly through, so if you're a fan of Karina Halle and want a lighter romance, you should give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...