Monday, December 19, 2016

Book Review: Going the Distance by Mila Rossi

Going the Distance
By Mila Rossi
Release Date: September 9, 2016
Source: Author
Once you slap the hell out of the light heavyweight champion of the world on the night of his first loss, how do you convince him to give you an interview? That’s the dilemma Samantha Wellington finds herself in after turning down the most desirable yet foul-mouthed athlete she’s come across. Unfortunately for her, her job depends on getting his interview and this boxer’s not talking.

When Trent “The Punisher” Page is humiliated by the spunky reporter, then cornered for an interview, he does what he does best: he plays dirty. He didn’t earn his nickname for being nice, after all. If the little minx wants to know more about him, she’ll have to pay with the one thing she’s not willing to give - herself.

Her elements of surprise meet their match in his determination to succeed. With vastly different motivations, can they break down the enemy without jeopardizing themselves?



Romances about athletes are my absolute favorite (obviously) and I was so excited to read this one about a boxer and a journalist. While I really enjoyed the heroine of this one, I was not a fan of the boxer and couldn't get into this romance. 

Coming off of his first loss ever in his career, Trent "The Punisher" Page isn't about to give his first interview to the press. But when a journalist crosses his path and just so happens to be the woman who slapped him at a club the previous night, Trent is intrigued. Samantha Wellington needs this interview to keep her job, but she has no idea how to break The Punisher, especially after she already rejected him. Sam is determined, though, to break Trent down and show him that he needs to open up to people instead of continuously shutting them out. 

Like I said, I was really excited to read this book, but I found it hard to connect with the characters. While I really enjoyed Sam's character and how she was a dedicated and talented journalist, I felt like we didn't really get to know her as a person. We got a glimpse into her past and her parents, but we didn't really get an in depth look at what she really went through as a child. She would brush it off and we wouldn't get to know much more about it. While I enjoyed her character, I couldn't connect with her on a deeper level. 

As for Trent, I wasn't a fan of him from the start. He was overly cocky and very crass, so I don't know why Sam liked him except for their physical attraction. At the end of the novel, I felt like things were rushed and Trent did a complete 180 way too soon. I wish the ending was more fleshed out and realistic and they spent more time developing that relationship. 

Overall, this was enjoyable but I couldn't connect with the characters as much as I wanted to. I liked Sam's character, but Trent was just too cocky and I didn't fall for him like I normally do in romances. As for the ending, I wish we had a more developed conclusion so that I could really connect with the couple and understand why they liked each other other than pure physical attraction.



1 comment:

  1. I think we have a really similar reading tastes, so I love when you do a review cause when or not to avoid a book! Love your blog! :)

    www.letmecrossover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...