Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Book Review: Summer of Supernovas by Darcy Woods

Summer of Supernovas
By Darcy Woods
Release Date: May 10, 2016
Source: Publisher
As the daughter of an expert astrologer, Wilamena Carlisle knows that the truth lies within the stars. So when she discovers a rare planetary alignment, she is forced to tackle her worst astrological fear – The Fifth House of Relationships and Love. But Wil must decide whether a cosmically doomed love is worth rejecting her mother’s legacy, when she falls for a sensitive guitar player hailing from the wrong side of the chart.

Debut author Darcy Woods explores love in all its complexities and how to best honor the loved ones who have passed before us, in a novel packed with both humor and heart.



There's nothing that I love more than a contemporary YA romance, so this one had me written all over it. I couldn't wait to see if the story was really as adorable and sweet as the cover promised. 

Wil Carlisle has always looked to the stars when it comes to making big decisions in her life. So when time starts ticking on finding her true love, Wil is determined to listen to the stars and her mom when looking for the one she is destined to be with. But when Darcy finds herself falling for a guitar player who is the one person the stars have deemed doomed for her, Darcy tries everything to follow her head. But the more time she spends with her guitar player, she finds it harder and harder to ignore her heart. 

Oh this book. This book reminds me of the adult romances I love that have musicians in them and adds the adorable factor of a cute YA romance. I really enjoyed Wil's character and fell in love with just how cute this book was from the beginning. When she met Grant in the beginning, it was so funny and I found myself telling my sister little tidbits from the book that I just loved as I was reading. And I loved how Grant was a musician, especially since he wasn't lead singer but rather the guitar player. The cocky lead singer trope gets a little old after awhile, so I loved seeing a different musician who loved music but wasn't the center of attention all the time. 

The one thing that did bother me was the extent to which Wil fought against her feelings in order to follow the stars and her mother. I get that Wil believed so strongly in all of that, but by the end I just wanted to shake her and tell her to stop hurting herself and all of those involved in her love life. If you don't like love triangles, beware, because this one is a love triangle between Wil and two brothers who can't stand each other. I loved Wil's intense connection with the brother her heart really loved and I was definitely rooting for them the entire time. 

What else can I say? This was an adorable, funny, and refreshing romance that reminded me of everything I love about YA contemporaries. As a debut novel, I definitely can't wait to see what Darcy Woods has in store for us next!



1 comment:

  1. Aw, I love adorable romance in YA! I've seen this multiple times before but I wasn't really interested. Now, I think I might try to read this. Thanks for the review! :)

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...