Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Book Review: Rival by Penelope Douglas

Rival (Fall Away #2)
By Penelope Douglas
Release Date: August 26, 2014
Source: Publisher
Summary: Madoc and Fallon. Two estranged teenagers playing games that push the boundaries between love and war…

She’s back.

For the two years she’s been away at boarding school, there was no word from her. Back when we lived in the same house, she used to cut me down during the day and then leave her door open for me at night.

I was stupid then, but now I’m ready to beat her at her own game…

I’m back.

Two years and I can tell he still wants me, even if he acts like he’s better than me.

But I won’t be scared away. Or pushed down. I’ll call his bluff and fight back. That’s what he wants, right? As long as I keep my guard up, he’ll never know how much he affects me….


Review: I've never heard of Penelope Douglas or her Fall Away series, but one look at this cover and I knew I had to read Rival as soon as I could. Good thing I did because Penelope sure knows how to create a couple with such intense emotions and insane chemistry that I could feel the heat simmering through the pages. And I loved every minute of it. 

After spending the past two years at boarding school, Fallon is back and ready for revenge. Her step brother Madoc had hurt her in ways no one else ever could and she's ready to finally show him who's boss. But as soon as they see each other, old emotions and attraction come rushing back and it's impossible to resist each other, even though they know it's a bad idea. Again. Will things end differently this time or will they both run away when they've finally pushed each other to their limits? 

Seriously, I am still freaking out over this book. While I was reading it, I even called my sister to rant and freak out over what was happening in the book. Fallon and Madoc became so real to me and I was hooked to their hot and heavy relationship. I loved how they bantered and tested each other and definitely didn't make their relationship easy. This story reminded me so much of Gossip Girl, which I just so happen to be obsessed with, with the couple who continuously taunts each other and the scandals, lies, and affairs of the rich adding so many more complications to the relationships of all of the characters. Needless to say, it was the perfect combination to create an enticing couple with a seriously addicting story. 

I haven't read the first book in this series, so I was a little worried when Fallon started talking about the past she had with Madoc, but didn't reveal what exactly pulled them apart and why Fallon was so hurt by everything. As I read on, though, everything was revealed in due time through various flashbacks and conversations, which made the story that much more intense. After reading this book, I definitely want to read the first one to see how Tate and Jared got together because they were pretty awesome. Not only was the main couple impossible not to love, but I was equally intrigued with their best friends, which included Tate and Jared, and especially Jax. Thank goodness we get Jax's story next because I am dying to get a look inside of his life, which we only got to see a little bit of as he helped out Madoc and Fallon try to stay together. 

So, um, yeah. I liked this book. A lot. I was a little iffy the first fifty pages in, but once more and more was revealed about Fallon and Madoc's past, I only fell more and more in love with them. With feisty main characters, even feistier secondary characters, and secrecy and scandal around every corner, you can't go wrong with Rival. You have to check out Penelope Douglas's Fall Away series right now. You're missing out on a hot New Adult novel that will seriously rock your socks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...