Sunday, February 17, 2013

Book Review: Persuasion by Jane Austen

Persuasion
By Jane Austen
Release Date: December 1817
Source: Own Copy
Summary: Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend Lady Russell that such a match is unworthy. The breakup produces in Anne a deep and long-lasting regret. When later Wentworth returns from sea a rich and successful captain, he finds Anne's family on the brink of financial ruin and his own sister a tenant in Kellynch Hall, the Elliot estate. All the tension of the novel revolves around one question: Will Anne and Wentworth be reunited in their love?

Jane Austin once compared her writing to painting on a little bit of ivory, 2 inches square. Readers of Persuasion will discover that neither her skill for delicate, ironic observations on social custom, love, and marriage nor her ability to apply a sharp focus lens to English manners and morals has deserted her in her final finished work.


Review: Oh my goodness, Jane Austen sure knows how to write them! And what better way to spend the week of Valentine's Day than reading a novel by one of the most romantic authors in history? 

Anne Elliot is the middle daughter out of three girls, and always seems to be overlooked. Eight years before this story takes place, Anne is betrothed to the handsome Frederick Wentworth, but prompted by her friend Lady Russell, Anne breaks off the engagement because he is not worthy of her hand in marriage. Anne is devastated by her decision, and never forgets her one true love. Fast forward eights years and Wentworth is back, along with money and the coveted title of Captain. Anne, on the other hand, has to deal with her family that is in financial turmoil and must watch Wentworth attempt to find a suitable wife amongst her friends as she stands by, longingly watching the love of her life slip by. 

I absolutely loved Anne's character and how sweet she is. All three sisters differ so greatly and it's Anne who you want to end up the happiest. It was so much fun watching her go through suitor after suitor while her heart truly only belonged to Wentworth. All of the possible matches among the characters were so crazy and definitely made for quite an interesting story. You had no idea who would end up with who until the very end. 

Like I said, Jane Austen sure knows how to write those romances. I ate this book up and really hated putting it down to go to class or do homework. This is only the second Austen book I've read, but I definitely know it won't be my last! I'm so happy I was able to enter the world of Miss Elliot and Captain Wentworth and get caught up in their whirlwind of love and romance. If you're looking for an Austen novel to read, I would definitely recommend this one! It's a cute little romance that you won't be able to put down.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed reading Persuasion. It's my favorite! Anne really is very sweet. Wentworth is swoony. And you didn't even mention the letter. I love the letter. You should watch the movie versions - the 1995 one first, and then the 2008 one. I really enjoy both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted a Jane Austen review on my blog! My review was of Pride and Prejudice.
    I have yet to read Persuasion, perhaps I shall make it my next Jane Austen read. A great review. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...