Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Author Interview: Jessie McClain

I am excited to announce that today I have an interview with author Jessie McClain! She is here to share some about her new novel My Dearest Rose. 


What three words would you use to describe "My Dearest Rose"?  
I guess three words that I would you to describe my book is heartfelt, passionate, and real. At least that's how I feel about it. I put every bit of me into "My Dearest Rose" and I love the feel of the whole story. It's simply life. Unpredictable.

How did you get the idea of a young woman having to raise her 3-year-old brother? 
To be honest I started with just my two main characters, Iris and Jason, in mind. They were my main focus. As I was creating Iris I knew that I wanted to connect with her on a whole other level. I didn't just want to create her, I wanted to know her, and I wanted to see her. One day I was looking at my daughter, who was a year old at the time, and noticed a lot of red popping into her brown hair turning the color auburn and she has green eyes. I knew that I wanted Iris to look like Jewel (my daughter) so I took her features and made her an adult. I also wanted to put my son in the book as someone, so I created Iris' 3 year old brother Danny. I'm actually very glad that it turned out that way. It gave me so many more options for "My Dearest Rose" and I simply adore Danny! I already knew that her and her mom were on bad terms, so it just made the perfect mix for what I wanted. I'm sorry that answer took so long. I can't seem to tell a short story. No matter how hard I try it always ends up long!

If you could be one character from your book, who would you be and why? 
If I were to be any character it would without question be Iris! She is just so darn cute! I love her so much that during my writing in a lot of ways some of her likes and dislikes, personality traits, and point of views are actually based on my own. I couldn't resist, and it also made me feel more connected to her. 

Why writing? Have you always loved it or is it something new? 
I have always loved writing, as far back as my memory can go. It first started with reading though. From a very young age I just wanted to read fairytales to anyone who was willing to listen. When I hit 14 I tried my hand at some poetry. At 19 I started writing songs, and then at 22 I started my first novel "My Dearest Rose." Writing has always been something I can't really control. I'll just be out somewhere, in the middle of a conversation, or waking up from a dead sleep with another idea for my trilogy or a song. Haha!

What are your inspirations when you write? When you get stuck, what do you do?
Music, my kids, my husband, situations from my own life (embellished of course) and even my own mind are big inspirations. I often live in another world:) If I'm stuck I sit it out, quit staring at the computer screen, play with my kids and continue with life until what's going to happen next hits me (which will probably be in the middle of the night.)

What do you do when you're not writing? 
When I'm not writing I'm cleaning, or playing around on my guitar. My son and daughter is obsessed with fishing right now, so I could be spotted at the lake with them. I like to knit and I'm trying my hand at sewing. I know! I'm a nerd.

What is your favorite book/author and why? 
My favorite book is "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte. It really was such beautiful work.

What's next?
What's next? Let's see... there will definately be the rest of my trilogy! I'm currently writing the second part and am at my mid mark! I'm extremely excited! Not to mention that I'm already filled with ideas for the third. I just can't let go of my characters!


My Dearest Rose
Summary: My Dearest Rose is a fictional drama based off the life of a 24 year old girl named Iris. Iris lives in the small town of Falls City Oregon where she works at a small shop and plays music on the side at a local coffeeshop. She raises her 3 year old brother and is on bad terms with her mom, whom she has never been able to get along with. Her boyfriend (who was also her best friend) had died 4 years earlier and she is still haunted by the memory. She then meets a guy named Jason (who is a roamer from Georgia) as she is performing one day at the coffeeshop and the story evolves. There are many twists and turns in the book. It's based on someones life that could be mine, your own, or a strangers. It shows that when you think there is nothing or no one left to save you, that your true salvation can come fromt he most unexpected place and that sometimes all is takes is a stranger. When all hope is lost who is it that you cling to?


I want to thank Jessie so much for being here today! For more information on Jessie McClain, check out her blog! You can find more information on My Dearest Rose here: 


Goodreads
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

2 comments:

  1. Would you please be kind enough to make my day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds awesome! Great interview :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...