Saturday, June 11, 2011

Book Review: Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler

Summary: Chelsea Keyes was everything: star basketball player and girlfriend of the most sought-after guy in school. But after a bad fall during a game forces Chelsea to get a metal plate in her hip, her dreams go down the drain. As a graduation present, Chelsea's dad brings the family to a lake resort for 3-weeks, signing Chelsea up for training lesson to get herself in shape. At the resort, she meets her trainer for the summer, 19-year-old ex-hockey player named Clint, who is haunted by his own troubled past. Once they meet, Chelsea can't stop thinking about Clint and how she reacts to him, in-turn forgetting about her shattered life at home. Can Clint be the key to fixing her broken down life, or is she the key to fixing his? 


Review: Wow. When I picked up this book to read, I was expecting some light, summer romance that was sweet, but cliche. What I actually got was an emotional, hot and heavy passion that was definitely NOT cliche. The book started off kinda slow, but once Chelsea and Clint actually met, I couldn't put the book down. Holly Schindler is an excellent writer and I really enjoyed how descriptive she was with the emotions of the characters. I loved the instant chemistry between them and the undeniable attraction that they both tried to push away because of their shattered pasts. What I also liked was how both of them were emotionally broken when they met, from Clint's girlfriend dying and giving up hockey to Chelsea's hip shattering and ruining her soon-to-be-successful basketball career. They were able to really understand each other and help each other face their failures. The one part I didn't really like about the book is the ending, because it just sort of ends, with no huge events or anything. But for the rest of the book, I found myself immersed in their story, yearning to find out what would happen next in the steamy romance between Clint and Chelsea.



5 comments:

  1. Very nice review. I'll have to take a look at this book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written review. Sounds like a good story so I'm putting it on my "too buy next" list.

    Cheers,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! I'm so happy you're going to read it! I'm sure you're going to really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love it when a book surprises you? I love it when that happen! I haven't read this book but the cover looks like something I would totally pick up to see what it's about and I do love romance in the summertime :-)

    Following from Book Blogs...so nice to meet you. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Yeah, the cover was the whole reason I read it and it ended up being really good! Hope you enjoy it if you do decide to read it!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...